Thursday, February 24, 2011

It's My Birfday & I Want You To Know It

Though February is usually a dreadful month when everyone is itching for spring, my favorite day of the year happens to fall during that month.  This would be my birthday. Besides Christmas, my birthday is my favorite holiday, and I revel in the fact that I get special attention on this day. If you didn't already realize from the title of this, I want EVERYONE to know it’s my birthday and acknowledge it.  I am fully aware that I sound like a snot, and you might as well shout out OCS (Only Child Syndrome) from the roof tops, but I don’t care. I love my birthday and I don’t care who knows it.   


The night before my birthday, I didn’t feel any excitement.  As I lay in bed, I thought “tomorrow will just be another day.” However, I woke up at 5:15 a.m. on February 22 and was giddy as a little school girl.  As I headed out to my normal Sweatilates class, I was so excited and touched to see that my roommate had done a little decorating the night before.  It was PERFECT. Our kitchen nook was decorated in pink and green and laid out for me was a hot pink boa, a princess crown (for those who know me you are fully aware that this is a must), cupcakes and a present! You could not wipe the smile off of my face. 



And my day got even better.  I decided to take off half a day of work and spend time with my mom and grandmother, who I don’t get to see that often.  The three of us had a nice relaxing afternoon getting manis and pedis, chatting and sipping champagne. 

Mom and Meme getting their toes done. Looks like mom needs a little champagne refill!

I also have to admit that all of the texts, phone calls and especially the messages on Facebook really made my day as well.  My phone was constantly vibrating telling me that someone had written on my wall. I would think, “who wrote on my wall this time?” I would click and see who it was, and it brought a smile to my face every time. Though it’s something small, it still made my day a little brighter knowing that someone took the time to wish me a happy birthday. Ahh the little things in life.

The day could not be complete without a birthday dinner celebration. We all picked out our sassiest outfits and headed to one of my favorite restaurants, Chop House.  My dinner was amazing, which consisted of a  mixed green salad with a citrus dressing, a filet perfectly pink in the middle, asparagus and homemade mac n' cheese.  And we mustn’t forget the champagne! (The three of us share a love for champagne if you didn’t notice.)

And last but not least….it was time for the CAKE.  And this was not just any cake….this was Peggy McKinney's CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER FUDGE CAKE -a birthday tradition that has been going on for many years.  The waitress brought out the entire cake with a candle, and half of the restaurant sang, “Happy Birthday” to me. You know I ate that up (the cake and the birthday hymn).



Then, much to my dismay, my birthday came to an end.  As I looked back at the events of that day, I smiled and realized that this was one of the best birthdays I have had in a really long time.  There was no huge party nor did I party like a rock star.  But I was able to spend time with the people who mattered most in my life (minus my dad who had to work) and enjoy life’s little pleasures.  

Mom, Me and Meme at Chop House.

Thank you to my mom, Meme and bestest roomie in the world, Lucy, for making my birthday so great!  I love you all so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment