Tuesday, October 5, 2010

I Love to Eat

I admit it. I love to eat. I have always dreamed of being one of those really skinny girls who could eat whatever she wanted and as much as she wanted. I actually used to be one of those skinny girls until this lovely thing known as a period came along.  It's all been downhill from there. Thanks a lot puberty.
So you might be thinking..."Is this another get fit and healthy blog?" Well yes and no. My goal for this blog is to be completely honest with everything I eat, good and bad, and my exercise routine, or lack-there-of.  Let me give you a little background...
Being raised by a mother whose life revolves around fitness and healthy eating habits, I was constantly exposed to the latest workout trends and ate an abundance of chicken, which of course was only baked or grilled.  The Studio Workout (shout out to the old Studio crew!) was my second home and most of my other "mothers" who helped take care of me were work out fiends and health nuts.  And I say that in the nicest way possible!  So it will not come to a surprise to you that one of my first outfits I sported as a toddler was a licra leotard with matching pink, shiney tights.  You could have called me a mini Jane Fonda.
Now on to the food...
The menu at the Richards household was very selective and healthy, but I was still exposed to the delicious indulgences of the Hardees chicken biscuit (no Chick-fil-a yet!), Krispy Kreme donuts and pizza of any kind.  However, these junk food indulgences were usually only a weekend treat as my mother cooked every night and made it a priority to sit down as a family and eat.  And I am so thankful for that today!  However, the older I got, the less food sheltered I was and my palet for "the good stuff" grew (Mexican, Chinese, etc.).  The older I have gotten, the less picky I have become. 
My love of sports... 
From day one, I knew I wanted to play sports. My dad put a basketball in my hand at three years old, and from then on, sports were constantly a part of my life. (I like to joke with him that I am the son he never had) With constantly honing my skills in a specific sport, I was usually active in something. However don't let me fool you.. I am not the type who constantly needs to be doing something and would consider myself a self-proclaimed couch potato on most days.
After years of constantly training for or playing a sport, it all came to an end with college, and I was left with a hardee appetite and little motivation to work out on my own. College and the freshman fifteen weighed heavily (literally) on my self-esteem and health. There was a lot of beer drinking, a lot of late-night Taco Bell runs, little sleep and little exercise.  My weight and exercise regime was about as consistent as Alabama weather; Great at some moments, terrible the rest.  
Fast forward to modern day where I now have a “big girl” job.  Where there once was up and down lifestyle, now there is a routine: Get up, (try) to work out, go to work, eat, sleep and start all over again the next day. Now, there is more sleep and and an occassional late-night party, a lot less beer drinking and I wish I could say NO Taco Bell runs, but we’ll just say there have been less of them as well. :) Still, with this routine lifestyle, I struggle daily with the drive to work out and motivation to eat healthy.
Getting to the point...
 I've now explained my entirely too long of a life story with food and exercise.  So why am I blogging about this now, you ask? Because of a program through Metro Fitness (metrofitness.com) called Body Reboot, which is a fitness and exercise program to promote healthy living for life.
I will admit that I was very hesitant at first to start this program, and quite cocky.  I thought, "I know how to read food labels...I know what's healthy...I know I need to exercise...I am not giving up beer on game day weekends!" Against my stubborn, know-it-all mindset, I agreed to do the program and started Monday, September 27.
And off we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment